- 6 lbs Penn Cove mussels
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and add garlic and onion. Lightly sauté.
- Once hot, add the dry spices. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the mussels. Stir until they just begin to open.
- Pour in most of the wine, vinegar and the butter.
- Cover and stream for 3 to 4 minutes, until mussels have fully opened.
- Serve into bowls that can accommodate the broth.