Oyster Stew - Recipe
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 pints small to medium shucked oysters
- 8 strips of bacon
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 4 c milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried basil
- pinch of thyme
- sliced green onions (optional)
- Heat a pot of salted water. Blanch oysters for 2 - 3 minutes. Drain and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Using kitchen shears, snip bacon into small pieces.
- Cook bacon slowly in a large pot over medium low heat. When the bacon starts to crisp, add butter and melt.
- Increase heat to medium and add diced onion. Sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add oysters, heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper, basil and thyme.
- Stir until warm (do not boil).
- Garnish with green onions.